Thursday, June 25, 2009

A day of losses


Today we lost two great talents, Farrah Fawcett and The King of Pop, Michael Jackson. I must admit that I never saw Charlie's Angels so I don't know much about Farrah Fawcett. However her passing is very sad nonetheless, especially at the young age of only 62. She gave us a first hand look at her courageous battle with cancer in a recent special called "Farrah's Story." Ms. Fawcett showed tremendous bravery and a strong will to overcome her disease, unfortunately she lost the fight this morning, my condolences to her family and friends.
The death of Michael Jackson came as a huge shock, as i'm sure it did to most of you. It is hard to believe that such an epic figure is gone, and a talent that comes along once in a lifetime has been lost. Michael has been in the public eye since he was very young, performing first with the Jackson 5 before embarking on his tremendous solo career. I grew up listening to his music, especially the album "Bad," which I had on cassette tape. In my opinion this is one of the greatest albums ever and contains my favorite Michael Jackson song, "Liberian Girl." We all know he had major issues, i'm sure his abusive father contributed to a lot of them, but I like to only judge his quality of music, not how he lives his life. There are only a few performers who could captivate a generation, John Lennon and Elvis being at the top of the list. I would add Michael Jackson to this category, and the influence he had (and will continue to have,) over popular culture is unparalleled. It feels very strange that he is gone, and it will take awhile to sink in. I could ramble on about MJ forever, but in closing I want to say that Mike will be missed, and the moonwalk probably looks even better in heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment